Bring your friends and neighbors out to help honor Dr. King’s legacy by volunteering for First Presbyterian Church’s 3rd Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Day of Service. On MLK Day, families and students from the community are encouraged to spend some of their day off answering Dr. King’s call to serve. There will be activities for all ages to benefit many local charitable organizations. Come join your neighbors for this free event, which includes a light lunch! Attendees are encouraged to bring canned goods for the church’s Sharing Cupboard. Free-will donations will be gratefully accepted to offset the cost of the lunchroom and other supply expenses.
First Presbyterian Church
1710 Bethlehem Pike
Flourtown, PA 19031
January 16, 2016
11:30am – 1:30pm
All the service projects benefit non-profit organizations. This year’s local recipients include Chestnut Hill Meals on Wheels, which provides meals and companionship to home-bound community members, The Welcome Church, a monthly worship service and coffee hour at Logan Square for people experiencing homelessness, and Whosoever Gospel Mission in Germanton, which provides shelter, food and rehabilitation for homeless men. We will also be providing a hoagie dinner for the volunteers of Flourtown Fire Company.
Here is a rundown of the service projects this year:
- Hoagie assembly line for Whosoever Gospel Mission and Flourtown Fire Company
- Painting peace rocks
- Making dog toys from old t-shirts for the SPCA
- Assembling prayer bead strings for patients at Trenton State Psychiatric Hospital
- Making paracord bracelets for military troops
- Cutting jeans to be used to make shoes for children in Uganda
- Arts and crafts center and other favorite mission activities from previous years
Visit the online registration form to sign up.
Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve.
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.