The Springfield Township Middle School Community held its 3rd annual Day of Service on April 25, 2014. With support from over 500 students, 70 staff members, 25 on-site volunteers, 8 buses and drivers, 25 off site locations, 10 non-profit facilities, and countless community donations, the following was accomplished:
- Creation of over 750 outreach bags for local homeless shelters with items purchased with our $1,100 Penny Wars fundraiser
- The making of over 750 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for local soup kitchens
- Collection of and tye-dyeing of 100 pillow cases for Conkerr Cancer
- Collection, sorting, and donating of a truck full of clothing, books, and other items for TWO drives which benefited Impact Thrift Stores and Cradles to Crayons
- Hosting of a student-run flea market which raised over $810 for Bringing Hope Home
- Collection and donation of over 2,000 cans, jars, and boxed goods for local food pantries including Manna on Main, Seeds of Hope, and Share
- The sending of students to over 25 local non-profit facilities including food pantries, nursery schools, libraries, firehouses, and warehouse collection sites
- The witnessing of 5 amazing 8th grade girls stand with Mrs. Davis and cut 8 inches of hair to donate to Beautiful Lengths program to create wigs for those who have been impacted by cancer (http://www.pantene.com/en-US/PanteneBeautifulLengths/Details/beautiful-lengths-make-the-cut.aspx)
- Creation of a room full of students proud of all of the above accomplishments and a sense of the power they have to support their community
A huge thank you goes out to all our students, staff, volunteers, and community for their support of another amazingly successful Day of Service. Plus, a BIG shout out to our brave 8th grade girls: Carly, Georgia, Hannah, Mary Kate, and Vita.
Check out this video of Mrs. Davis getting her hair cut.